1. Melt the butter in a small skillet.
2. Add the pecans, rosemary and sugar and cook over low heat to caramelize the sugar, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a spatula, remove the pecans to a piece of foil to cool.
Creamy cider dressing
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon finely chopped savory (or dried oregano)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1. In a small pan, cook the rosemary and savory in the olive oil until lightly toasted to release the flavors.
2. While the herbs are still warm, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple juice, apple cider vinegar and honey in a small bowl, then add the herbs.
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoons sugar
8 cups Romaine hearts and radicchio, mixed, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped Fuji or other tart apples
1/2 cup smoked bacon (about 3 to 4 slices), cooked crisp and chopped
1 cup Maytag or other blue cheese, crumbled
1. Soak the cranberries in a bowl with 1 cup warm water and the sugar for 10 minutes, then drain.
2. Place the julienned greens on a large platter.
3. Arrange a row of apples down the middle of the plate. On each side, arrange rows of bacon, cheese, cranberries, diced chicken and glazed pecans. Dress and serve.
Each serving: 797 calories; 795 mg. sodium; 117 mg. cholesterol; 58 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 37 grams carbohydrates; 36 grams protein; 5 grams fiber.