French toast and assembly
About 2 loaves white sandwich bread (you will need 36 slices, enough for 18 sandwiches)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (about 10 ounces) mascarpone cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
Canola oil for frying
Orange compote, warmed
1. Cut the bread: Use a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut through the center of each slice to form a round. Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone over each of half of the rounds, then cover with a remaining round of bread. Repeat, forming 18 sandwiches.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and sugar to form a batter.
3. Heat a large flat skillet over medium heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil to the pan (enough to form a thin film), heating until the oil is hot.
4. Dunk a sandwich quickly into the batter, coating on all sides. Place the sandwich in the skillet and fry until golden and crisp on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
5. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches until all are fried, holding the fried sandwiches in a warm place.
6. To serve, place 2 or 3 warm sandwiches on each plate, topping with a spoonful of compote. Serve immediately.
Each of 9 servings: 538 calories; 13 grams protein; 54 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 31 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 212 mg. cholesterol; 29 grams sugar; 425 mg. sodium.