Note: Adapted from "Town/Country: 150 Recipes for Life Around the Table" by Geoffrey Zakarian. This recipe requires eight (8-ounce) ramekins.
3 half-pint containers raspberries
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
9 large egg whites, room temperature
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Butter for greasing ramekins
1. Set aside 48 of the raspberries for garnish. Place the remaining raspberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, and the lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until the fruit is very soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. Purée the raspberries in a blender, stirring as needed, then transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously coat the inside of the eight ramekins with butter. Then coat the butter lining with 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
4. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment on low speed. Whip the whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually add the remaining sugar, continuing to whip until the egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
5. Remove the egg whites from the mixer and gradually fold in three-fourths cup of the raspberry purée, adding it in three batches and taking care not to over-mix. Reserve the remaining purée.
6. Using a pastry bag with the large plain tip, pipe the soufflé mixture into the ramekins, swirling it so each soufflé has a peak like a soft ice cream cone. (Alternatively, just spoon the mixture into the soufflé dishes or ramekins, filling them not quite to the top.) Gently push 6 reserved raspberries into the top of each soufflé.
7. Place the soufflés on a baking sheet and put them in the oven immediately. Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. The center of the soufflé should still be soft. Add a few tablespoons of water to the reserved raspberry purée to thin it out to sauce consistency. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately, garnished with the raspberry sauce.
Each serving: 133 calories; 5 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 0 fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 63 mg. sodium.