Recipe: Blueberry cream pie
3 egg yolks
2/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (6-ounce) packages blueberries, divided
9-inch pie pecan shortbread crust, chilled (see below)
1/4 cup water
1. Whisk the egg yolks in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan (away from heat). Add two-thirds cup of the sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, the flour, salt and milk, whisking until blended, then cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly, about 5 to 6 minutes. Do not overheat or the yolks will scramble. If necessary, pull the pan off the heat occasionally.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter, whisking until well blended. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Arrange half the blueberries in the bottom of the prepared crust. Spoon the chilled vanilla custard over. Chill in the refrigerator while you make the topping.
4. Combine the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the water in a small saucepan. Stir in the remaining blueberries. Heat to boiling, stirring until thickened and clear. Let the blueberries cool to warm, then spoon over the top of the vanilla custard. Chill 4 to 6 hours or overnight before serving.
No-bake cookie crumb pie crust
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: 8 (1 crust)
Note: To make the cookie crumbs, process cookies in a food processor or place in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
1 1/2 cups almond biscotti, pecan shortbread or butter cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Place the cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Add the sugar and melted butter and toss with a fork until blended. Pat the crumbs evenly onto the sides and bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Chill 30 minutes.
Each serving: 332 calories; 4 grams protein; 45 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 16 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 111 mg. cholesterol; 146 mg. sodium.