Enjoy vegetable-centric diet
How to use harvest in vegan, vegetarian and meat-friendly dishes
Plenty of inspiration: Cooks, chefs and foodies are expanding the boundaries of what it means to enjoy a vegetable-centric diet. Pictured, Moroccan stuffed squash. (Bill Hogan/Chicago Tribune)
1 cup quinoa
1 can (13.5 ounces) light coconut milk
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon each: ground coriander, ground cumin
1/4 cup thinly sliced preserved lemon peel or 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives, plus more for garnish
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Rub 1 tablespoon coconut oil on the cut sides; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Pierce the skin a few times with a fork. Roast in the oven, 20 minutes. Flip squash over; cook until you can easily poke a knife through the flesh at its thickest part, 10-20 minutes depending on size. Remove from oven; let cool.
2. Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa; drain. Heat the coconut milk to a gentle boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the quinoa; turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes; turn off the heat. Let the quinoa steam in the saucepan, 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil, the paprika, coriander and cumin to the quinoa; toss to combine. Add the preserved lemon peel, mint, cilantro, orange juice, pomegranate seeds and olives; toss together.
3. Divide mixture among the squash cavities. Garnish with chopped olives. Serve.
Per serving: 400 calories, 18 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 57 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 516 mg sodium, 8 g fiber.
• cheese: Replace the chopped olives with 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese.
• shrimp: Grill or saute 1 pound shrimp. Roughly chop shrimp; add to the quinoa mixture.